Sunday, March 1, 2009

Your Personal Brand

I admit it - I have thought about how the Internet can help sell me as a kind of "product". Other than that, I don't really know much about what people mean when they talk about your "personal brand". I just figure that when it comes to the Internet I should try and put my best foot forward, assuming that everyday online I'll be making a first impression with someone.

When my father finally got a face book profile my advice to him was: "Don't put anything up there you wouldn't show the folks in the office". If my "friends" want to look at my vacation or family pictures - they are welcome to them. What you won't find is me at the beach or on Christmas morning - those are strictly reserved for my real friends and family who share the pictures with me. I wouldn't take those into the office - trust me, they wouldn't help to inspire confidence, get a donation or a raise.

You may correspond in your pj's but the Internet is not private. It is a tool. Seth Godin has a great post about this. If you are one of the few people on the planet who haven't yet discovered Seth's blog be sure to sign up for it - you will be glad you did.

Thank you for spending time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment