Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My relationship with Ken Burnett

I'm in a relationship with Ken Burnett. Have been for some time actually. I suppose it is time to come clean since Canadian Fundraising and Philanthropy tells all the sorted details in their March Newsletter.

It all started about a year ago when I was working on a direct mail piece and it was a bit of a struggle. I picked up Ken's book The Zen of Fundraising for some inspiration. There was a reference that I didn’t understand so I decided to drop him a note and ask him what he meant. He says at the back of the book to contact him, the email address is right there - so I did. (Buy the book if you don’t believe me)

Ken actually wrote back – within 24 hours. After I got over the initial shock of it all (as well as the cynicism that perhaps this was someone on staff and not actually him) we started a dialogue. He shared resources and information and gave me about one hour of free consultation. I was so grateful for the experience I offered to do something for him – although I couldn’t imagine what it could possibly be…

My story continues here on the Canadian Fundraising and philanthropy newsletter. Read it and then start some new relationships of your own!

Thank you for spending time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment